Halton & St Helens VCA embarked on an exciting new project to redevelop St Marie’s Church in Widnes. The building was designed by the eminent architect E.W. Pugin, built in the early 1860s with doors opening to the local community in 1865 from when it became a hub of social activity and a beacon for support, until it was sadly removed from use in 2007. The building stood derelict for several years and suffered on-going anti-social behaviour, further reducing its physical condition. Aside from the vandalism the building remained largely unaltered from its original design and includes many original features, and is considered by the Victorian Society as one of the ten most endangered heritage-rich buildings anywhere in Britain. The HLF provided the funding to remove any threat of demolition and provide a much loved Church with a new purpose.